ByProducts 1: The Imitation Game starring Benedict Cumberbatch


(photo courtesy of https://posterspy.com/genre/the-imitation-game-competition/)

I take pride in my ability to find contentment in my own company until I watched The Imitation game. Often, I get hit with a subject far from what the movie intended for its viewers to ponder upon. When the credits roll, it signals my brain to automatically play several pictures, then my thoughts play with words until it forms rebuttable worthy argument about my ideas or anything but mostly things that I’ve held right or wrong.

Why do people think those who are alone are lonely? Let it be just someone who sits alone at the park staring at a distance. A student you meet at the corridor. A lady reading a novel while the people around her are busy chatting. A man jogging around the oval with no companion. How can loneliness be a description for people who value their solitude? Or, am I just stating reasons here to defend that I am not lonely when I am alone?

I admit that I do have those instances where I wish I could have someone who can be at my disposal whenever I needed or let alone, just want someone to be there. I do, especially when I get used to the warmth of someone’s company but I get over it after some time.

I will not remark about the pros and cons of being alone, I’m more concerned of the infinite possibilities man is inclined to do when it becomes true – loneliness knocks, get’s invited, and remains a companion of the solitary.

Walter Mitty had an adventure when he searched for that missing piece by the photographer he then found alone photographing an animal who rarely appears in the lenses. Veer Singh endured 22 years alone in prison when everyone thought he was already dead. Ghagini was able to revenge the death of her beloved wife alone even if he had to daily remind himself of what his goals were due to his medical condition. The lone ranger managed to survive and was soon led to meet with the fellowship of the son. The pregnant lady in Kahani was able to fulfill her mission even though she had to go through it alone with her big belly. Mrs. Sengupta had to leave his husband to successfully save the life of Barfi then soon lived alone teaching. Jesus had to stay alone in the wilderness. Mr. Wangdu started alone the school he dreamt of. A did well in his plans even before Suneri came. The wise accountant of Shawshank Redemption single handedly outwitted the head of the prison. Forrest did good after Bobba was gone and was able to run across the country too. I've watched on Ted also the story of the woman who rowed alone across the ocean and survived. I can go on and on, but I have to admit too that there’s also a long list of how men can do stupid, indecorous, sinful, wicked, injurious … acts caused by their solitariness.

The fate of Turing disturbed me since I am like him in two ways. I usually prefer being alone and I am not that quite good with grasping and understanding human nature. Then after writing and remembering about movies and things I’ve watched I came to the conclusion that I don’t have to worry about it. 

Yes, I like writing, reading and photography which are highly inclined to solitariness but, I can be bold and loud too. I know I can be anything I want to be.

-Supasayan JHA

Comments

Popular Posts